Guidelines for District 54 Protocol
These District 54 Guidelines list the order for introducing dignitaries at District 54 Toastmasters events.
Download the Complete Guidelines
- Visiting Non-Toastmasters Dignitaries
- Honorary Toastmasters and other Guests of Honor
- Current International Officers (including Immediate Past President and Executive Director)
- Current International Directors (ours: Region 5, followed by other Regions)
- Current Region Advisors (ours: Region 5, followed by other Regions)
- Current District 54 Officers (Director, PQD, CGD, IPDG, PRM, Administration Mgr, Finance Mgr)
- Current Division Directors (Host Division first, then Alphabetically)
- Current Area Directors (Host Division first, then Alphanumerically)
- Current District Officers from other Districts (Division Directors and above)
- Official candidates for elected District 54 offices that are not current District 54 officers
- Current and Past World Champions of Public Speaking (start with the most recent)
- Past International Presidents (Most recent first, then work back; Immediate Past is a current officer)
- Past International Directors (Most recent first, then work back; Immediate Past is not a current officer)
- Past District Governors, District 54 (Most recent first, then work back; IPDG is a current officer)
- Past District Governors of other Districts (alphabetically)
Introduce current officers before past officers (i.e., Current Area Directors before Past International Directors)
- If a dignitary is competing in a contest, then he/she should not be introduced as a dignitary, even if his/her name
- appears on this list or in the program.
- Dignitaries serving as judges should be introduced as dignitaries, but never be introduced as judges.
Introduction should be phrased in this manner:
- Office (and highest past office held if both higher than current office, & District Director or above)
- District 54 Candidacy (Nominating Committee Approved or Floor Candidate)
- International Candidacy (District Supported)
- Toastmaster Designation(s) (highest only, in full, NO abbreviations)
- Office of spouse or guest (if applicable)
- Toastmasters designation(s) of spouse or guest (highest only, in full, NO abbreviations)
- Name of spouse or guest
NOTE: Members wishing to run from the floor for District 54 office must make their intentions known in writing to the District Director before being added to the Protocol List.
Announce each dignitary only once. A combined announcement of two dignitaries (e.g., spouses) where both are in attendance takes precedence over a separate listing in the Protocol of either, which should be read only in the absence of the other dignitary.
Proper example if both dignitaries are present:
“Past International Director, Distinguished Toastmaster Tom Jones & his wife, Past District Governor, Distinguished Toastmaster Susan.”
Example if only the first is present:
“Past International Director, Distinguished Toastmaster Tom Jones”.
Example if only the second is present, and has a separate listing elsewhere in the Protocol:
“Past District Governor, Distinguished Toastmaster Susan Jones.”
Use the DISTRICT 54 PROTOCOL LIST WORKSHEET to introduce dignitaries at all District-sponsored events, as well as at Division & Area Speech Contests.